About those compiler options...

Feb 6, 2013 at 7:49 PM
There isn't a lot of detail provided on compilers. The homepage says, "The software can be compiled with the Keil MDK-Standard tools. Alternatively, you could use the ARM RVDS Professional tools. There is no support for other compilers."

I have two questions...

1) Is there any advantage to MDK vs RVDS?

2) What's the estimated price of each package?

I've requested quotes myself and will be updating this thread as I learn more if others do not contribute.
Feb 6, 2013 at 8:39 PM
I was quoted around $5,000 for Keil MDK-ARM Standard.

Is it really going to cost me $5k to get .NET running on my own STMF4 board?
Feb 7, 2013 at 7:01 AM
Edited Feb 7, 2013 at 7:02 AM
The recent GCC versions are starting to be a viable alternative, STMF4 micros have enough flash memory for the firmware built with GCC. It is bigger than Keil MDK-ARM/ARM RVDS output (1), mostly due to size of C/C++ Runtime libraries (printf-family functions). Additionally, the 4.7-2012-q4-major release of GNU Tools for ARM Embedded Processors introduced newlib-nano, size-optimized runtime library which causes the firmware image size to be comparable with RVCT, sometimes even smaller. However, it does not support 64-bit integers and long double string formatting, so it cannot be used directly yet...

(1) They use the same compiler/linker (RVCT), but there are slight differences in operation, and libraries. The executables are exactly the same, the 'mode of operation' is determined by the license.

Each new version of .NET Micro Framework Porting Kit improves support for GCC-based toolchains, it is not very hard to adapt the existing STM32F4 solutions, there are already several other working ports for STM32F4 - just have a look at Secret Labs and GHI community forums.
Feb 18, 2013 at 9:16 PM
Thanks, I'm compiling with GCC 4.6.2 now. I haven't got 4.7 to work yet, but eventually I'll get there. Free is a very good price.
Apr 10, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Hi,
run the NETFM compilation stable after built it with GCC 4.6.2 ?